Monday, April 28, 2014

YOUTH SUNDAY


The second Sunday of Easter is one that I am intimately familiar with because when I served as a ministerial intern and an Associate Pastor, I got to preach that Sunday to give the Head of Staff a homiletical break.  It is a day in the lectionary that puts the story of Doubting Thomas in front of God's people, a story that is so real and so mysterious, one that makes the Christian faith all the more accessible in many ways.  I am quite the fan of Thomas because I think that a really honest faith in God, a faith that is mature and vibrant and lasting, has the moments of honest doubt where through wondering, questioning, and pondering we plumb greater depths and the roots of our belief grow deeper and wider.  The story of Thomas is a wonderful story for Youth Sunday, and I am so proud of the way our young people handled themselves on Sunday.

It is hard for me to believe that our Will is a 7th grader and old enough to participate in Youth Sunday.  He offered the prayer of dedication and did quite a nice job.  In many ways I see a bit of myself in him, but the difference is that he is so much more together as a 7th grader than I was--certainly a better student and more mature in his faith for his age.  I love that he likes to wear bow ties, and it was such a special time for me as a dad to help him get dressed.  I remember how my own father taught me how to tie a neck tie years ago and how he instilled in me that a gentlemen takes pride in how he looks, keeps his shoes clean, makes sure his shirt is pressed, and always carries things such as a handkerchief and a pocket knife, just in case.  My dad wasn't a fan of bow ties, mainly because he had a 19.5 inch neck!  The tie would get lost somewhere under the chin, but Will and I enjoy them.  I had to wear my red one with golfers on them, a fitting choice for Youth Sunday because Libby Wallin picked it out back when I was the Associate Pastor of 4th Presbyterian.  The Wallins are one of those families whose children hold a very special place in my ministry and in my heart.  On those long days where life is frustrating and discipleship is draining, I remember those Wallins and find my spirits renewed.

Some people like to think that the youth represent the future of the church, and I certainly affirm the truth of those words.  I truly believe, however, that the youth of the church represent the present. From the moment of baptism, young people (and all people, really) are beloved children of God, servants whose lives can bear powerful witness to the grace of Almighty God.  Grace was offered up in hearty doses yesterday, from the music to the stories, from the love and affirmation of the congregation, to the feeling of the Spirit's presence as I sat with Sarah and Aubrey from the vantage point of the pew.

We had much for which to be thankful when we offered up prayers at the end of day.  We are certainly grateful for our own children and for all the children of the church.  We give thanks for our Youth Director, Forrest Foxworth, and for his wife Ginny and their children.  Our lives are richer because of the love and nurture of the congregation, and when it comes to doubting and wondering how mysterious divine things are to be lived out in our fast-paced, technology laden lives of 2014, the grace of Youth Sunday slows us down a bit and inspires us to relish the goodness of God that is right in front of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment