Wednesday, April 16, 2014

HOLY MACKEREL


It was a magical day on the water with my good friend, Brett, and my son and daughter.  It was the first time we had gone fishing on the clear and mysterious waters of Ft. Lauderdale.  It was also the first time for me to fish using "goggle eyes" as bait and to use kites to send out the bait and hold them in place, keeping them just inches below the water's surface.  The day was gorgeous: mild temps, sunny, with a light breeze blowing.  By the sheer providence of God, I got to experience the adventure of reeling in a king mackerel (somewhere around 40 pounds).  I felt a little like Jacob wrestling with God through the night as I fought that enormous fish.  Thank God my fight only lasted minutes where Jacob's lasted the whole night long.  There was such joy in catching that fish.  I remember how my heart raced, how the kids chuckled and cheered, and how for a moment I felt like I had harnessed something wild with only a hook and line.  The moment wasn't just memorable; it was holy.  It is holy week, and there is something adventurous going on this week as we remember, once more, God's deep love for the world.  At times I feel as though I am fishing for something joyful this week, hoping to hook something that I have never reeled in before.  At other times I feel as though I am like that large king mackerel, and God is the one who by the dramatic narrative of holy week is drawing me towards the light of possibility.  It is one of those weeks, as is often the case with God's Spirit and will in our lives, we cannot predict what may come, and we certainly will not be the same afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment